We're always getting a lot of questions about how to coupon at Dollar General so we figured it needed it's own post breaking it down. Like the Target Coupon Policy, there are many small things about the policy that many people have questions about.
We're going to explain what the Dollar General Coupon Policy is and will have you couponing at Dollar General in no time. Plus some sweet hacks to know, we're also going to answer your biggest questions!
We also rounded up 8 things you have to known before couponing at Dollar General and cool tips to maximize your savings.
What is the Dollar General Coupon Policy?
The biggest thing to understand about couponing at Dollar General is they do accept manufacturer coupons and they also allow coupon stacking.
More specifically they allow two coupons per item, one must be a Dollar General coupon and one must be a Manufacturer's Coupon. To maximize savings use both coupons on one item.
Two things to note: one if your coupons exceed the value, you will not get cash back also Dollar General does not accept competitors coupons.
Do they take manufacturer coupons at Dollar General?
The answer is yes! They will accept any manufacturer coupon as long as it is not store specific. For example it can not say can only be redeemed at CVS.
How do you tell the difference between a manufacturer coupon and DG coupon you may ask? The coupon will have a section that shows that is a Dollar General Store Coupon, a manufacturer coupon will say manufacturer coupon. Simple as that!
Can you stack coupons at Dollar General?
Yes you can. One of the best parts about couponing at Dollar General is they do allow coupon stacking, however the coupon policy states you can stack one manufacturer coupon and one dollar general coupon per item.
However, you will no be able to stack multiple manufacturer coupons, or multiple dollar general coupons on the same item.
How many coupons you can use for one item?
The Dollar General Coupon Policy states that they allow two coupons per item. Unless otherwise noted on the coupon.
Does Dollar General give out overage on coupons?
Yes! But with a catch. The value is applied to the rest of your shopping transaction. They will not hand you cash for your overage.
For example if you find Campbell's soup on sale for $1 and you have a coupon for $1.25 off the purchase of one then you can still use this coupon. However you will need something else in your cart for the $0.25 to apply towards. They will not hand you the overage in cash.
And The Digital Dollar General Coupon Policy?
For those confused about digital vs. paper coupon policies at Dollar General here's what you need to know. The policy states they allow one dollar general coupon and one manufacturer coupon.
In the digital app you will see a bunch of manufacturer coupons and some Dollar General Coupons. The store coupons will have the Dollar General logo on them, and these can be stacked with one manufacturer coupon per item.
How do I get the Dollar General Digital Coupons $2 off promo?
No, not anymore that promo ended when they first launched BUT luckily, when you sign up they will automatically load $1 off your purchase right into the app.
Can I print the Dollar General Coupon policy PDF?
Yes actually we found one here that you can take with you to the store to avoid any confusion when you're out and about.
My Dollar General Coupons don't work!
These are the guidelines on what DG will, and will not accept. Give them a peek and if you have a question, ask us in the comments!
WILL accept coupons that meet the requirement below:
- Must be original. Photocopies are not accepted.
- Must have a scan-able barcode or valid Dollar General promotion code
- Must have a visible and a valid expiration date
- Can be redeemed only for items sold at Dollar General, and can be redeemed only for the exact same item (package weight, size, etc.) unless otherwise specified
- Coupons for free items are only accepted if a purchase is required to get one free. Dollar General Coupon offer will always have a purchase requirement with free item offers
- A maximum of two coupons will be allowed per item. To do this, one coupon must be a Manufacturer Coupon and the second coupon must be a Dollar General Coupon. This is allowable as long as neither coupon states that it is not valid with other coupons
Dollar General WILL NOT accept coupons that are as follows:
- From other retailers
- Internet coupons without a scan-able barcode, a Dollar General promotion code or a visible and valid expiration date.
- For "free" items that do not contain a purchase requirement (i.e. buy one get one free is acceptable)
- Manufacturer coupons that do not have a "remit to:" address on the coupon
Dollar General Coupon Hacks!
- I love text message coupons, they are sent right to my phone from DG including huge ones like the $5 off my purchase and you can sign up for them by texting JOIN to 34898
- If you wait and shop on the weekend DG will almost always release a $5 coupon off your purchase of $25+ for shopping one day only on Saturdays. Always hand this coupon to the cashier first this will make it stackable with your other coupons.
- Always look at the weekly sales ad and try to match up coupons to items on sale. This maximizes your savings.
- Have a coupon that you know you most defiantly are going to use this shopping trip? Don't forget to look online by going here to see if there is an available Dollar General coupon you can print or load so you can get an ultimate savings by stacking.
- Last but not least its never a bad idea to print out and bring their coupon policy with you. If you have any questions or the cashier is new you never know when you may want to refer to it. You can find it by going here..
This about rounds up shopping at Dollar General. It is one of my favorite stores to shop at and Im sure with practice you will be just as successful with your coupons and saving cash in no time.
Your turn: Are you a Dollar General couponer? Have some tips, hacks or thoughts on their policy you want to share? Send them below!