Best Buy Return Policy: 11 Things You Should Know (2018 Update)
I think you'll agree with me when I say:
The Best Buy return policy is really confusing.
Whether you're trying to return something you're not sure can be returned, not sure how much time you have left to return something, it's complicated...
That's why we made this handy guide on everything you need to know about Best Buy returns to make things a little easier.
Whether you're looking on Best Buy's laptop return policy, the return policy for tv's or just need to return something at Best Buy with no receipt, this post will help.
What is the Best Buy Return Policy?
- What can I return: Return anything you bought from a Best Buy store, or something you got online to any Best Buy location close-by.
- What you'll need: For in store returns you'll want to bring either the receipt you got with your purchase or your packing slip if it was shipped to you, the credit card you used to purchase the item and photo ID.
Returns By Mail
- Prepaid Label from Best Buy: For returns by mail you can print a prepaid return label from Best Buy for free and pay nothing up front to get your refund.
- Do It Yourself: You can also return by mail with the carrier of your choice, simply use the included Return Form on your packing slip, and pay for the shipping yourself with any carrier you choose.
- Lost Packing Slip: Just print this blank one and fill it out. You can expect your refund within 2-3 business days of receiving your item.
How Many Days Can I return at Best Buy?
For the most part you'll have 15 days to return something to Best Buy.
There are some items where that is not the case...
- Most Items — 15 days after purchase
- Wedding Register Items — 60 days after purchase
- Cell Phones — 14 days after purchase
- Devices With Contracts — 14 days after purchase
It's also important to note if you sign up to become a Best Buy Elite Member you can get an extended return policy of 30 days or if you sign up to become a Best Buy Elite Plus member you'll get 45 days to return your items instead of the standard 15 days.
What If I Don't Have My Receipt?
Sometimes you just cant find that receipt no matter how hard you look....
That's okay, it happens.
If you're trying to return to Best Buy without a receipt just be prepared to show a valid ID when returning and you should be fine.
What Is Best Buy's Laptop return policy?
You have 15 days (like most products) to return laptops at Best Buy.
My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus members have an extended return period of 30 or 45 days, but normally for laptop returns at Best Buy it's 15 days.
Keep in mind that if the laptop is over $800 you will be mailed a check as refunds over $800 are done by check through the mail.
What is Best Buy's TV return policy?
TVs are treated like every other item and must be returned within 15 days.
Assuming there is no damage to the TV and you have all the packing material you can return your tv at Best Buy for 15 days like most items.
What If I'm Returning With Missing Parts?
You'll be fine.
No need to let this stop you from returning something at Best Buy as per their site “If you do not have all the original packaging or accessories, that’s okay too. We can process a return with a nonrefundable deduction on your refund for what is missing.”
What Can't Be Returned at Best Buy?
Most people don't know but there is actually a bunch of items you can't return at Best Buy, we'll be listing all the items that can't be returned at Best Buy below:
- Items marked as Final Sale: We all love that clearance section but some of these items are 'final sale' items so make sure you really want it before you buy it.
- Special Order Items: For Special Order items, you get 85% of the initial price. These are items being shipped by the manufacturer.
- Digital Content: This includes video games, movies and software that's downloaded.
- Prepaid Cards: Pre-paid cards cannot be returned at Best Buy.
- Gift Packaging: Well turns out if you buy them polka dots but then decided you wanted something not so frilly you are stuck with it anyhow. Keep in mind that items that are gift packaged can't be returned.
- Membership/Completed Services: Pretty much any work Geek Squad has done for you or any Geek Squad membership cannot be returned.
- Opened consumable items: This includes items like batteries and ink.
What if my return was opened?
Already open the item you're returning?
That's fine just put everything in the original box and include all manuals, instructions and pieces that came with the item and as long as you are still within the return period you can still return it.
How do I return a gift at Best Buy?
You can return a gift bought at Best Buy by walking into any physical Best Buy store.
When you bring the item to the Best Buy store you will get store credit for the purchase price, which works out perfect for those looking to buy something new.
It's important to note that if you return a gift by mail the item will be refunded to the person who purchased the gift and an email will be sent to them.
Re-Stocking Fees at Best Buy
On some items at best Buy you will be charged re-stocking fees. Any items that have restocking fees for returns we'll post below...
- DSLR Camera Lenses — you'll be charged a 15% re-stocking fee.
- Smartphones — you'll be charged a $35 re-stocking fee.
- Drones — you'll be charged a 15% re-stocking fee.
- Projectors — you'll be charged a 15% re-stocking fee.
- Rideables — you'll be charged a 15% re-stocking fee.
- Special Order Products — you'll be charged a 15% re-stocking fee.
What About a Cash Refund?
Yes you can get a cash refund.
Keep in mind anything over $800 will be mailed to you.
As per the Best Buy Policy:
If you paid more than $800 in cash or more than $250 by check or by a debit card without a major credit card logo, we will refund you by check within 10 business days. Any amounts deducted from a gift card will be credited to the gift card.
Your turn: Do you plan on returning something to Best Buy? What are some things you like or don't like about the Best Buy return policy? We'd love to hear!
Related Buyer's Guides and MomDeals' Lists: