There's been so much confusion lately on how Target's return policy actually works.
Can you return items without a receipt? Can electronics that are opened be returned at Target? Do REDCard holders get any perks when it comes to returns? Is the online return policy the same as in-store?
The worst part is all of the questions we have about the policy isn't answers simply by Target. That's why we made this handy guide for all of your Target return policy questions.
After going through all the most asked questions from the Mom Deals Community (you're welcome to join if you love sweet deals) we'll be answering all the most common questions you have about returns at Target.
Target return policy no receipt, target electronics return policy, target online return policy, target return policy electronics, target return policy without receipt, target video game return policy, target makeup return policy, target return policy opened items, target red card return policy,
What Is The Target Return Policy?
Here's pretty much how the Target return policy works:
- You have 90 days to return most items purchased both in-store and online.
- Most unopened items with a receipt will get a full refund.
- If you don't have a receipt Target can look up your purchase if you used a card or REDcard otherwise, if you used cash, you're out of luck.
- Items that are opened, damages or are without a receipt may not be eligible for a return
- Target has an extended return policy for holidays (we'll cover below) and for REDcard holders receive an extra 30 days to return items.
- Some items sold by Target have a different return policy which can be found on the receipt, packing slip or on Target's website before purchasing.
Are There Any Exceptions To The 90 Days?
Yes there are some exceptions to the 90 day return policy. Here's a breakdown of those exceptions:
- Open music, movies, video games and software cannot be returned, but may be exchanged at the store for the same title, for the same or different gaming platform.
- Open airbeds cannot be returned, but may be exchanged for a similar item.
- Open or defective collectibles (sports cards, special edition Barbie dolls, porcelain dolls, action figures and die-cast cars) cannot be returned.
- All electronics and entertainment items must be returned within 30 days for a refund or exchange.
- Drones must be returned within 14 days for a refund or exchange.
Check your receipt for more information on this but some items, have a modified return policy than most items.
Can You Return at Target With No Receipt?
Having a receipt for your Target purchase is not required, but if you paid with cash you may be out of luck.
The sweet thing about Target's return policy is they have the ability to look up your purchase in many ways so you can actually recover your receipt in a few ways...
Target can look up receipts for purchases by the following: Target REDcard, Target Debit Car, Mastercard, Visa Card, American Express, Discover, personal check or Target Gift Card.
If you're looking to return with no receipt with a Target gift card you'll need the physical card with you. If you paid with cash you may be out of luck and Target may be unable to process the return.
What Is The Target Online Return Policy?
The Target online return policy is the same as the normal return policy and the best part is you can return items bought online to the store, or return your items by mail. We'll go over both ways of doing it.
Follow these steps to get started with your online return:
- Sign in to your Target account
- Select orders and find the order you want to return
- Select view orders to view the order details
- Select 'return an item'
- Select either 'return to store' (then you take that barcode to the store and have a Target team member start your return) or 'return by mail' where you'll choose the item to return, select a reason for the return, choose replacement or refund and then click submit where you'll see an option to print mailing label.
- Then put the package label on the outside of the package and bring to any UPS drop off location.
Don't have your receipt? You can access a copy of your receipt by visiting the find your order page, pretty convenient for those that enjoy shopping online and have a habit of losing receipts.
What's The Policy for Target Electronics?
One of the most frequently returned items at Target is electronics as a bunch are bought during popular shopping holidays like Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
Unlike most items at Target, the Target electronics return policy is a little different than the normal 90 day return policy. At Target, you'll only have 30 days to return or exchange your items.
The only exception? Mobile phones. Mobile phones you buy at Target have to be returned within 14 days.
What's The Policy for Target Owned Brands?
It's also good to know about the return policy for Target owned brands. Shoppers have an entire year to return those. Here are all the Target owned brands with a friendly 1 year return window:
- A New Day
- Archer Farms
- Art Class
- Ava & Viv
- Boots & Barkley
- Cat & Jack
- Cloud Island
- Gilligan & O’Malley
- Goodfellow & Co
- Hearth & Hand with Magnolia
- Hyde and Eek! Boutique
- Made By Design
- Market Pantry
- Original Use
- Project 62
- Project 62
- Room Essentials
- Shade & Shore
- Simply Balanced
- Smith & Hawken
- Sonia Kashuk
- Sutton & Dodge
- Universal Thread
- Wild Fable
- Wine Cube
Can You Return Opened Items at Target?
For the most part, yes you can return opened items to Target.
As long as the product is within the 90 days and eligible for a return, Target will give you an exchange or refund.
Something to keep in mind is they do state in their return policy they can refuse a refund on opened items. They don't say what exactly this includes but people abusing the policy may be when this comes into play.
What Is The Return Policy for Makeup?
Most beauty items you bought at Target whether online or in-store can be returned.
The great part is even if it was opened, and you're still within the 90 days and you have your receipt, you can get a refund for your makeup which is great for those who tried something out and just don't like it.
Can You Return Clearance Items at Target?
Yes, according to the policy you can return clearance items to Target.
The only thing not allowed at Target is if there is a price drop on clearance items, having the price go lower you won't be able to get the difference, but aside from that you are able to return clearance items to Target.
How Can I Extend the Return Policy Window?
Did you know that you can actually extend the return policy window when you sign up for Target REDCard.
With a Target REDCard the return policy is extended 30 days making it 120. It really is such a sweet perk when you become a cardholder and you get an extended return window.
If you're planning on doing a lot of returns at Target signing up for a REDcard might be the way to go!
Related Buyer's Guides and MomDeals' Lists:
- Wish Return Policy: 7 Things You Should Know
- The Costco Return Policy: 7 Things Everyone Should Know
- Nordstrom Return Policy: 15 Things To Remember
Your turn: Where do you rank the Target return policy when compared to other stores? What were you trying to return today and how did you make out so others can learn! Share any tips and info below!